CAR SEAT ACCEPTANCE ON BOARD MANGO AIRCRAFT
Infants under the age of 2 only pay the applicable administrative fees provided they sit on an adult’s lap.
Car seats may be used for infants under the age of 2 years / 24 months and children up to the age of 3 years / 36 months.
The car seats may NOT be used for children older than 36 months.
Please note: All children over the age of 2 years WILL be required to occupy their own seat on board, purchased for travel.
Only infants may sit on the laps of parents/ guardians unless otherwise necessary provisions has been made to make use of the car seat on board the aircraft.
When selecting seats, and keeping in mind that a car seat may be used, please the following
- Only one (1) infant may be carried per parent / guardian with the total of ONE infant only on each seat set of three situated either side of the aisle.
- No more than two (2) infants may be seated in each row of seats on any aircraft type in the fleet to ensure that there is sufficient provisioning of oxygen masks from PSUs in the event of a decompression.
- The number of infants that may be seated shall not exceed the number of oxygen masks available per set of three seat.
- Infants / children may NOT be seated in 14, 15, 16 emergency exit rows.
- Furthermore, Infants / children may NOT be seated in seats 1C/D, 2C/D, 31 C/D and 32 C/D as these are considered emergency exit seats
BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE NOTES – INFANTS AND CHILDREN
- Infants occupying a seat, pay full fare, and receive full baggage allowances as per MANGO T’s & C’s. (i.e. 20Kgs.)
- 10 Kg baggage allowance is applicable to infants NOT occupying a seat.
- One infant / child stroller or car seat shall be allowed per child when being used -
- To the aircraft, as the case may be for strollers and,
- On the aircraft, as the case may be for car seats.
- These items shall not be charged for.
- As per the above, these items are considered as immediate use items and are NOT* charged for by Mango, provided they are used to / on the aircraft.
- Strollers or car seats immediately being checked-in as baggage, WILL be charged for accordingly should weight considerations and restrictions of that booking NOT be met.
CAN I BRING MY CHILD'S CAR SEAT ON THE PLANE?
Mango Airlines will accept FAA approved or with the sticker “Approved for aircraft use” infant / child car seats when the accompanying adult has purchased a seat for the infant / child.
An infant / child may be seated in a car-type infant seat, approved for use in an aeroplane provided:
- The car seat is secured to the aeroplane seat on accordance with the instructions provided with the car seat.
- The car seat is designed to be secured to a passenger seat by means of a single lap strap and face the same direction as the passenger’s seat.
- The lower part of the shell does not unreasonably extend beyond the forward position of the passenger seat cushion on which it rests.
- The car seat must be secured to the passenger’s seat at all times during flight, even when it is unoccupied by the child;
- Only the infant shall be removed from the aircraft in an emergency evacuation, not the car seat;
- The car seat is positioned in such a way that it does not prevent or hinder the movement of adjacent passengers or block exits;
- The car seat is not placed in an aisle seat, depending on cabin configuration;
- The car seat is used in accordance with infants weight limitations specified for such device; and
- The car seat is fitted with a single release harness, which secures the infants lap, torso and shoulders, but designed that the child can easily be secured in or removed from it.
ACCEPTABLE CAR SEAT SPECIFICATIONS
- Car seats manufactured between January 1981 and February 1985 are acceptable for use in commercial aircraft provided they bear the label: "THIS CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY CONDITIONS."
- Seats manufactured after February 26, 1985, will be acceptable provided they have a second label in red lettering which reads, "THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT."
- Car seats bearing the "UNITED NATIONS" ECE R44/04” label can be accepted for use on an aircraft subject to the following conditions:
- The onus and responsibility of the attachment and securing of the car seat remains the responsibility of the passenger/s.
- The car seat is rated for the weight of the child per ECE R44/04 recommendations.
- That the seat may not be used should the child weight exceed 22kg/50lbs.
- All requirements for car seat restraint per SA-CAA regulations are complied with to the satisfaction of the crew.
- The child be suitably restrained in the car seat during take-off, landing, turbulence or any phase of flight as may be determined by the crew in a forward-facing condition only.
Note: All safe-guarding of the said equipment is the responsibility of the guest at all times.
To help determine if your Car Seat will fit, the seat widths (measured as the distance between armrests) on our aircraft are as follows:
UNACCEPTABLE RESTRAINED SYSTEMS
- Unlabeled child car seats and/or car seats manufactured before January, 1981 cannot be used.
- Vest and harness type child restrains or belly belts cannot be used during taxi, takeoff or landing.
- Car Seats that do not adequately fit the Mango Airline aircraft prescribed seat dimensions.
PROCEDURES TO FOLLOW
The following are additional procedures that must be followed:
- While in use, all infant / child seat straps should always be in place per instructions provided by the seat's manufacturer
- A window seat is the preferred location; however, other locations are acceptable provided that only persons responsible for the child occupy seats next to the infant / child.
- The car seat cannot be located in an aisle or exit row seat. It also cannot be located in the rows in front of or behind the exit row.
- During taxi, takeoff and landing, the child must occupy his or her child seat and have all harnesses properly fastened.
Always be aware that airplane seats are differently designed from car seats, and a car seat will need to be compatible with airplane seats to be used appropriately and safely.
The following recommendations have been put in place for your convenience in choosing the best car seat for airplane use:
- Ensure that the car seat you plan on using has FAA certification.
- Ensure you have communicated that you will be using a car seat with Mango Airlines prior to arrival. Checks will be done to ensure your car seat meets specifications.
- The average Mango airline seat is 46 cm wide. You will want to make sure you bring a car seat that fits within this space, on the 41 cm allowance between armrests.
- Ensure, as already mentioned, that when booking seats, emergency exits or seats as otherwise stated – are avoided.
Note: that during taxi, take-off, landing and as / when otherwise stated or visually instructed by seat belt signs – infants / children shall be seated IN THEIR OWN SEAT / CAR SEAT for all critical phases of flight.